Welcome to TK421's Post
TK421 was the identification of the unfortunate Stormtrooper in Star Wars (and the only named Stormtrooper in the original Star Wars movies) whose uniform was stolen by Luke and Han after they ambushed the scanning crew. The Stormtrooper disappeared from guarding the Millennium Falcon to supposedly assist the scanning crew, thus the line by Sub-Lieutenant Pol Treidum, Gantry Officer of Docking Bay 327, "TK421, why aren't you at your post?"
In the book by George Lucas, the Stormtrooper is named THX-1138, while the revised fourth draft of the screenplay calls him TX-421. In the movie, the name was changed to TK-421, but Luke and Han do escort Chewy to Leia's detention block by calling him a "prisoner transfer from cell bock 1138." And there's much more:
- In The Empire Strikes Back, Rogue 11 is ordered to sector 38.
- In the Phantom Menace, 1138 is the number of a battle droid who is tipped over by Jar Jar Binks after the control ship is destroyed.
- In Raiders of the Lost Ark the Nazi harbor loudspeaker announces "ein, ein, drei, acht" (one, one, three, eight).
- THX 138 is a license plate in the movie American Graffiti. George Lucas allegedly drives a car with the license plate THX 138 as well.
- 1138 pops up in several Lucas-affiliated video games: in Maniac Mansion, a Cadillac's license plate is THX 1138; in Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, a phone bill totals $1138; in Outlaws, a train is numbered 1138; in the campaign add-on for X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, Balance of Power, during one of the cutscenes a Corellian Corvette named "Corvette 1138" is attacked and destroyed by a Calamari Cruiser; and in Star Wars: Republic Commando, the character's serial number is RC-1138.
- THX-1138 was George Lucas' first movie as a director.
- THX is the name of a sound certification system, also created by George Lucas This name may also relate to Tom Holmo, who designed the crossover for the speakers (Tom Holmo Xover).
- In the film Boogie Nights, a stereo system is referred to as having a "TK421 modification."
- In Animaniacs opening scene, The Brain writes THX1138 on a chalkboard
- On the Star Tours ride at Disneyland, a message plays about an illegally parked land speeder, with a license plate of THX1138.
- In the Legion of Superheroes epsiode "Brain Drain" the character Braniac 5's hive number is TK421.
About the Author
My name is John Hubbard and I live with my family in Milwaukee WI. I have also lived in Atlanta GA, Wichita KS, Basking Ridge NJ, Saint Paul MN, Portland OR, and Philadelphia PA. I'm a librarian at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.
Site Components and Structure
Each page has a navigation bar on the bottom offering links to the divisions of this site. Explore and enjoy, and feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime. Cheers!
Created, maintained and © by John Hubbard (write to me). Disclaimers. Hosted by Dreamhost. Last modified: September-27-2017.